Yawning causes spontaneous orgasms!

On Grey's Anatomy sunday night, one of the patients that was admitted was a woman who had spontaneous orgasms. Now I'm a big fan of that show, but more because of the relationships between people than the actual "true to life" aspects of it. (a bomb was IN a patient...come on how often does that happen) So I was like "whatever they made up a really cool sounding condition" which they never even explained, giving me more credence to my disbelief that a disorder like that actually exists.

Not so. Alex (girl at work) was intrigued by this and it not being quite so busy today, we decided to see if there was any truth to it. This is what we found first, from an urban legend site:

Three clinical psychiatrists had a paper in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry entitled "Unusual Side Effects of Clomipramine Associated with Yawning", describing 4 patients who, while taking the the anti-depressant drug Clomipramine (brand name Anafranil) reported the unusual side effect of spontaneous orgasm every time they yawned.

The first case of this was a female patient who had been depressed for 3 months, but under treatment "Complete symptom remission occurred within 10 days". She then asked how long she would be allowed to go on using the drug, since she had observed that every time she yawned she had an orgasm, and she was able to experience orgasm by deliberate yawning.


Apparently it can work for guys too. One male patient said that while he found the repeated climaxes "awkward and embarrassing, he elected to continue the medication because of the therapeutic benefit he obtained. The awkwardness and embarrassment were overcome by continuously wearing a condom."

So since I have a plethora of articles at my disposal here at the great U of R, I looked up the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, and sure enough, in 1983, they published this article:

Unusual side effects of clomipramine associated with yawning.

Canadian Journal of Psychiatry - Revue Canadienne de Psychiatrie. 28(7):569-70, 1983 Nov.

Abstract
Although there have been previous reports of decreased sexual capacity as a side effect of antidepressants (1-3), the authors know of no previous records of increased capacity of the type described in the following reports, or of reports of side effects associated with yawning. Observation of unusual yawning-associated side effects is now reported, in order to alert clinicians to a possible side effect that can influence patient-compliance with the prescribed medication regimen.


How crafty of these people to put it so....non-dirtily. I still find it quite intriguing and will consider it my life goal to meet one of these lucky people. (which will be hard because I'm sure they took the drug off the market after that)

In other news, I am supportively attending both of Mike's comedy improv shows this weekend at Geva. Everyone should buy tickets, come on down, watch a hot Italian guy be funny...I love dating an actor, I really do.

So I think I'll post some pics of when I went home to hang out with Sue and Joe, but as I am still at work and dont' have my camera, those will have to wait.

Comments

Erica said…
is that a serious question?
rorytmeadows said…
talking about TV shows is so fucking gay and uninteresting....can you post more boring posts? I'm losing interest fast...seriously
Erica said…
That's interesting, coming from a guy who took over a month to update his blog.

Anyway, you happy person you, the post wasn't about the show, it was actually about psychology, which I would think you would find interesting.

And since I've had way too much drama in my life these past few months, now that I'm finally almost through it, I'd rather not go back.

Sooo...screw you :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections