Oedipus Complex anyone?

Really quickly...

I'd like to say that I have just watched Harold and Maude. Contrary to what I thought it would be like, it turned out to be very good. Everyone knows it's about a young kid and an old lady who fall in love. However...it is extremely tasteful, and has a kind of hippie logic that I appreciate. Both actors did wonderful jobs, and it had a great ending, which really solidifies the movie watching process for me.

I guess I'd say that it is like The Graduate with its treatment of adults who just don't know what young people need or want, but it's also like Bringing Up Baby or Garden State or something similar, where the kooky girl and the straight man fall in love. The kooky girl just happens to be 79 years old, but she has convincing reasons for being the way she is. This makes me happy; I really don't like movies that do that kind of thing with characters but don't explain why they're doing it, I like to have a psychology behind my movies.

All in all, the fact that throughout the entire movie he "attempts" to commit suicide, the fact that having fun with life is valued over rules and regulations, and the great performances just make this an overall A of a movie for me.

And now, of course, a clip:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections