Some Philosophy for Thought (part 1)

"Thought is real, physical is the illusion"

Freshman year of college (at Geneseo) everyone has to take INTD 105. It's an inter-departmental course, basically about anything the professor wants. I picked "Gods, Myths, and Values" because I thought it would be something about ancient mythology, which I love. Well mostly the course was philosophical discussion about transcending life and life after death and stuff like that.

Being mostly staunchly Catholic for my whole life and exclusively attending Catholic school up until that point, it was a whole new experience for me. In school I had only learned Catholics' point of view on things (and born-agains but that's a whole different story) and my amazing, funny, Italian, good looking.....I mean my professor had us read things like The Koran and Zen and the Art of Archery. He grew up Catholic in Italy but now is nothing specific, although he believes in God. He, along with college in general, really taught me to open my sheltered eyes to new things.

Anyway he had us watch "What Dreams May Come" one day in class and I was too intent on trying not to cry in front of the class to enjoy it fully. I just watched it again and it's so stunning to me. The visuals are awesome and the storyline got to me as well. It's really what I'd want and expect an afterlife to be like. You make your own heaven, your own body, and "sinners" get punishments that fit their crimes (kinda like Dante's Inferno, also amazing) but you can be reincarnated if you wish. Sounds good to me.

The movie was really powerful but also makes me realize that anything could happen after death, which I really wish my mom would realize.

I'm afraid for her sanity lately. She clings to religion and uses it for everything. It's really bothering me that she told me I was "living in sin" the other day (because I live with Andrew). I said "well you're living in the 1920s" which I don't think heped much. I've never thought my parents would be ashamed of anything that I've done, they've always been proud. Certainly my dad could care less that I live with a boy and why would he, he's not religious and he's a hippie.

I really just don't understand how people can be so close minded and I hate it. Why, if two people are in love and plan to be together in the long run, shouldn't they live together? I said that very thing to her and she just said "hmph". I'm actually crying now and I don't know why. I know she's just being ridiculous and it's not like she mentions it every day but I always felt very close to her and I don't want her to hate any part of my life. Well maybe it's so I can move to California and not feel guilty about leaving her. Why the hell do I have to be Italian AND Catholic? That's like a double-whammy of guilt complexes. *sigh*

Tangents tangents, aren't they great? I may have more philosophical discussion about a totally different subject later tonight, inspired by an old high school friend's myspace blog. Stay tuned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tying your last two posts together, I agree... People are most scared of things they don't understand.

I think that in cases where religion plays a vital role in a persons life... they are simply using it as a tool to justify their perception of how the world should be so that they don't have to question the reality of it all.

By the way... spiders that walk at different angles, and snakes that move sideways when moving are scary because they are unpredictable!

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections