Scholastics

So I'm all about the academics right now. I've been studying up for the BRPT test in December (the one that allows me to be certifiably amazing and make more money) and half of the shit that's on there I've never heard of in my life, so I'm mostly going by the scant notes to piece together everything. I also have about 5,000 articles at my immediate disposal right in the control room of the lab, but I'm holding off on article searches for now.

I also attended Grand Rounds this morning at work, and the guest speaker was a John Strauss, who (listen to this shit) went to Yale, had a residency at Harvard, was chief of psychiatric assessment at the National Institute of Mental Health, came to work at U of R, then went back to Yale and was director of the Yale Psychiatric Institute.

So the talk was all about how we need to change how we think about psychiatry/psychology by listening better to the patients and thinking outside the box. Most doctors just ask a series of questions that they're supposed to ask, fit the patient in a nice little neat box of a diagnosis, and move on their way.

The very interesting thing to me about the lecture, however, was that he mentioned sitting in on Method Acting classes at Yale where they did excersizes in voice tone and listening to another person. He said things like acting and actors can do a lot for psychology, because a huge part of being an actor is listening to another person, and that's what psychiatrists/psychologists really need to do. I'm taking it a step further but I'm sure that internalizing emotions and feelings of a character, or studying up on someone's life would help a lot to experience what others experience and be able to help them better.

He also said that before you can become a master fencing champion, you have to fight another master, then you have to fight a master who is drunk, then you have to fight a novice. Fighting the novice and the drunk guy are difficult because they are so new/drunk that they are unpredictable, or in the case of the novice they aren't set in their ways yet. He was using this as another example of thinking outside the box, but I thought it was really interesting.

At the end of it I *almost* went up to him and said something about how I thought the same thing about the acting thing, but I didn't want to sound stupid and just smiled at him and walked by instead.

So continuing in my scholastic adventures, tomorrow I'm going back to Geneseo. It's gonna be fun, but I think hard, since so many memories are tied up there. I really really don't want to see any old rugby players, especially Davey since I know he's still there, but other than that I think I'll be okay.

I'm having lunch with my old bosses Pat and Lori, HOPEFULLY getting to see Dr. Stanley because I love her and miss her, then I'll practice piano for probably an hour wasting time, then I guess wander until "Psychology Day" starts, where I've been asked to come back and speak on my experiences in a full time job with a bachelors degree. Since I've stayed in the psychology field and I think that's kind of rare, I agreed to go impart all that I know onto these young people (which isn't much). I'm speaking at 2 sessions, which don't start til 4:00 pm, so I'll have a very full geneseo day ahead of me.

Okay I know I promised wedding pics but the site isn't loading pics right now for some reason so I'll put them off yet again.

Comments

rorytmeadows said…
it's not something psychologists need to do, it's psychiatrists that need the help...we're already trained on that stuff...stupid ass waste-of-space psychiatrists are the ones not listening to their patients and shooting them out in the door in 15 minutes with a new perscription

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections