Laughter is an orgasm triggered by the intercourse of sense and nonsense

I got to thinking about laughter earlier. I'm not really sure why exactly, oh wait yes now I remember. I was watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy by myself and it was actually making me laugh out loud. So I thought....I don't usually laugh this much when I'm by myself, laughter is one of those things you do more in front of others than by yourself (well at least for me).

So I thought....why is this making me laugh so much, and when else have I just laughed by myself (to be laughing when alone something must be REALLY funny)? Then I think of Whose Line is it Anyway, which isn't funny all the time but has reedeeming qualities. I laugh soooo hard at that show, but only certain skits.

Anyway, to make a long story short....I was thinking that everyone has some kind of humor that makes them laugh the most. For me, as mean as this may sound, it's people making fun of other people. Not in a mean way per se, but....for example today on the show the queer eye guys went to this guy's house and were going through all his gross grungy stuff, wearing his clothes, pointing out odd things on his walls ("this is very unabomber-eske" about a wall diagram) and I think that stuff is hilarious. The skits on Whose Line that make me laugh the most are the ones where they bring audience members up to do sounds and, inevitably they make some noise that has nothing to do with anything, and the two (usually Ryan and Colin) get these weird looks and make a joke.

Then I was thinking about how I laugh a lot. Usually about every conversation I have with someone. I think that laughing is my nervous reaction to conversation, like someone continually putting strands of hair behind their ear or shuffling their feet. I'm willing to bet there are a looot of people who do this, but I know a few that don't. My ex Pat would hardly laugh at anything, in conversation or on tv. My family even noticed it. He finds things funny, he just...doesn't laugh unless he finds them really funny or he's drunk. Andrew, on the other hand, will laugh, and laugh hard, but not at everything. He's below me but above Pat, but when he thinks something is funny, you'll know it.

Laughing seems mysterious to me, like crying. Why does tickling make us laugh? Why does cutting onions make us cry? I'm sure I can google the answers to these things but I just think the human body is so fascinating.

I don't know why this is at all important (it's not), but I am working and wanted to write SOMETHING at least, and I can't really think of anything else to say besides complaining about having to work 9 overnights in 2 weeks.

I suppose I'll leave you with another quote, I am a big fan of quotes lately:

Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter. ~Nietzsche

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections