Escape through film and fun with psychology

So how do you escape your reality when needed? Many people drink heavily, some go so far as to abuse drugs, some play video games (....you know who you are....), and apparently some watch movies.

Obviously the last category is where I belong. It never fails, and it's never conscious to me until it happens. I care about watching movies when I am stressed. I NEED movies when I am stressed. I'm not heavily stressed right now, only moderately stressed, but I still felt the need to persuade Angela to see a movie tonight. I have also persuaded Andrew to go to the movies tomorrow night.

Everyone is an escapist in some way. Movies are my refuge. I blame it on my intense need to get to know everything about every person in the world. I inherited my affinity for both people watching and people analyzing from my mother. Damn her, now that's all I can do. That's why I enjoy film so much, I can be a people watcher and it's acceptable. I can immerse myself in characters' every facial expression. (I realize these are only actors playing a part, but it still works for me)

Andrew is not a fan of actors/actresses. He doesn't see the point. They are overpaid for the little amount they contribute to society. He is right. While I agree that they are overpaid, I am still obsessed with them, and I don't think that will ever go away. So I will continue to watch movies, to love movies, and to long to make movies, probably for as long as I'm alive.

On a side note about psychological-ness (yes another word I made up) Catharine directed me to the internet journal of this guy tonight. I read some of his entries, and he has had some FUCKED UP but hilarious life experiences. Apparently his site is highly popular and I think he has a few books out or something. Anyway his site is www.tuckermax.com, and I read only a few stories before realizing how intensely insecure this guy is. You don't even need to have a psyc degree to pick it out, it's all over the place. So, in case he hadn't picked it out for himself (which I'm assuming he has since he seems to be very intelligent) I decided to email him and tell him how much his insecurities amused me. We'll see if I get a response.

So the film I saw tonight was Finding Neverland. Good movie, nice, well rounded, not exceptionally excellent, but a good wholesome watch. And the acting by my boy Johnny Depp and the little boys was awesome. Tomorrow night I have informed Andrew that we are going to see Sin City. I kinda wanted to see it when I saw the preview on apple.com courtesy of Joe, but I was going to wait for the buzz. Now that the buzz seems good, I am willing to go. I don't think Andrew really wants to see it, but too bad for him, he already agreed.

I need a random closing comment....tonight I took a digital picture of my eye. It's fun taking pictures of my eye, I have decent eyes. Maybe I'll post it one day when I get a new computer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections