The Office Showdown Debate

Well....it's not so much of a debate since I have a definite preference, but whatever.

So I just finished watched all of the British version of "The Office." It was very funny, and similar to the American version only in the very first episode. All episodes thereafter are completely different. In both there are the weird, trying to be funny but aren't really funny bosses who keep fucking up and think everyone loves them, and the Jim and Pam/Tim and Dawn characters are similar as well. But the things they do on the shows, the entire plotline, their personalities, are much different.

That being said, here's a bit more....

What I like about the British Office:
--they can talk about sex freely, because it isn't our run-by-religion society
--it came first and is therefore automatically cool for thinking up the concept
--they say funny words and use funny accents

What I don't like about the British Office:
--Ricky Gervais' character, David Brent, is almost unwatchable
--they could have amped up Tim and Dawn during the run of shows instead of in the "special"
--they didn't do enough peripheral character work

I still prefer the American version to the British. Now I've heard it said that because I grew up in America, I have a different sense of humor and some Americans just don't' get British comedy. Well I get it, but I think it goes a bit too much over the edge of awkwardness for me.

Steve Carrell is still awkward, to a much lesser extent. Jim and Pam are amazing, and you see more of the other characters, who are actually more interesting than the peripheral characters on the other show.

Okay bottom line, watch em both if you must, but if you just want to watch one, please go American, you won't be sorry.

Comments

Sophia said…
We used to talk about sex at work. Now you are making me nostalgic. You guys were the only group of people I felt comfortable being blatently inappropriate and cras at work with. *tear*

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections