The Office

First of all, as a disclaimer, I have never seen the British version of The Office, and I know that came first, so I have only a small idea of how similar/different it is to the American version, which is the subject of my discussion.

That said, The Office in its 1st and 2nd seasons (which I just caught up with) is the most romantic and funny at the same time tv show I've ever seen. I know I extoll the virtues of Grey's Anatomy, which is also AMAZING. But they are very differently styled shows. The Office is a "mockumentary", which is more real to me, and real = more believable = better.

The actors are all so fucking good, and I think a lot of the reason I like them is because I don't know them. Of course I know Steve Carrell, but he doesn't count so much because he's so out there and his character is in no way likeable. On the other hand, Jenna Fischer (Pam) and John Krasinski (Jim) are completely likeable, I want them both to be my best friends. They are soooo fucking funny and together have the greatest chemistry I've probably ever seen.

As of this summer, with Grey's Anatomy and Battlestar Galactica being in rerun mode, it is my favorite thing to watch.

Tonight I just watched the Season 2 finale. And although I don't think they should have done what they did, it had me squealing out loud in a room by myself. I really hope the third season resolves it in a way that doesn't hurt the show.

And not only Pam and Jim, but the other characters are soooooo great. The suck-up total geek Rainn Wilson (Dwight) who nobody likes but is ridiculously funny in his cluelessness. There's an episode where Jim lists all the things that he's done to mess with Dwight like every day putting another nickel in Dwight's phone handle and getting him used to the weight and then one day taking the nickels all out so Dwight hits himself in the head with the phone. Or when him and Pam put Dwight's personal desk items in the vending machine and he had to buy them all back.

There's also the girl that doesn't shut up, the old man who knows everything about everything but does weird things and is completely unapologetic, the old lady who gets her feelings hurt all the time, not to mention the sexist racist boss who only does it because he doesn't know better.

God I can't get over how funny this show is.

It must be at least somewhat similar to the British Office, since Ricky Gervais was involved with the making of both shows, so I'm gonna borrow the British version from Mike and see what I think.

In the meantime, ya'll should watch it, seriously. 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections