I Hate Crutches

They are the WORST part of this whole not having a foot for awhile thing. First of all, I was not in shape before the surgery. I would recommend anyone who is not going to be able to walk for awhile to work out your biceps/triceps/abs/thighs beforehand. Every time I walk, not only do my armpits hurt from the tops of the crutches, but even my leg that I'm not using starts hurting from me having to hold it off the ground. This is, of course, besides the arms and other leg muscle strain.

Second of all, I dare any of you to take a shower while standing on one foot THE WHOLE TIME. Don't tell me to take a bath either; I can't deal with all of that dirtiness, and how would I wash my hair? Showers are currently the bane of my existence. Seriously, I wish that people never had to clean themselves. I still do it, but I reeaaally don't look forward to it.

A few positive notes: I'm driving again, Mike's car. It's weird, but I can't drive mine so it'll have to do. Also, my doctor took post-op x-rays and he says it's healing perfectly. I'll get this giant cast off and the pins out of my foot in 4 weeks, and then I'll have to wear a boot thing (not sure if I'll be able to walk, but at least I'll be able to itch my leg).

Here are a few pics (and yes, my toes are green):

Comments

john ok said…
your crutches are too high. your arm pits should not be touching the top of the crutches. if they do it will put pressure on the nerves that run through there and could cause nerve damage.

and i was on crutches for 3 months in college. it sucked. i feel your pain.

try getting food in a dinning hall with a tray while on crutches. that sucked.

as to showering. you will get used to it. or you could buy a shower chair to sit on or at least help you by being able to bend your bad leg and rest on that while you stand on the good one.
Erica said…
You're right about the crutches thing, I lowered them last night after I read your comment and they don't hurt my arms as much. It seems to be a bit harder to walk, but maybe that's because I had been walking with them at the other height for awhile.

I'm REALLY glad I didn't have this done in college. Especially on Geneseo's campus where everything was miles away from where I was living and super hilly. So yeah...that sucks for you.

The shower thing...I'd feel like an old person with a chair in the shower, but I'm getting more and more used to it so I think it'll be okay in another week or so.

As always, thanks for the input!

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections