and she's back online, folks

You can all let out that sigh of relief now. I have the internet again. (Although currently I am at work but that's beside the point) Uhh just a disclaimer...because I haven't written in awhile....this will be long.

First I will go over the oh so wonderful details of my life in the last week, then discuss a few films I had the pleasure of seeing sneak previews of.

MOVING DAY #1: FRIDAY, JUNE 10TH

I hadn't packed much the night before, so I had most of my packing/cleaning to do the same day I moved (I'm a big procrastinator about that kind of stuff). I woke up early, started packing, took a break a few hours later to wake Andrew's lazy ass up and usher him out of the house, and continued packing. This was one of those 90 degree really humid days last week but I hardly noticed as I tried to get everything done as fast as I could.

So at about 1:30 PM I decide I need to take back the cable box and modem then go back and pack and wait for my brother in his truck and Andrew in his U-Haul. I got the stuff back to Time Warner fine, but.....I didn't quite make it back home okay.

Now you have to understand that I hadn't eaten AT ALL before this, when it's really humid I like to drink stuff or eat fruit and I'm never in the mood for anything heavy. So I just kinda forgot about eating all day. I was rushing around so much and had such a lack of sleep, and combined with the lack of food I guess I wasn't the best driver. SO...I'm on my way down Mt. Hope, going towards Henrietta. I'm in the right lane, which is the lane I wanted to be in, and a giant tractor trailer was chilling in the middle of the lane up ahead of me. It was completely stopped so I went around it and then went to go back into the right hand lane again. Well I didn't look in my rearview mirror for one thing (I thought the truck would be blocking the whole lane for everyone) and for another thing I tried switching lanes approaching an intersection. If I had looked in my rearview mirror I would have seen that the trailer had actually started up again and was moving (far too rapidly for those usually slow as hell trucks). It was in the right lane and when I switched, I clipped him. This was in the intersection at Elmwood and I ended up spinning completely around and facing the oncoming traffic on Elmoood.

I was in shock for about 5 minutes, realized I was okay, got out of the car, and started crying. The truck had stopped up ahead in the actual intersection and the guy got out. He was an older African American man named Chad, and he was the nicest guy I could have ever possibly gotten into an accident with. He kept telling me that it was gonna be okay, he ushered me into the shade and gently asked why I did that, I apologized and told him I was feelin kinda funny from not eating, and he bought me a lemonade. Then we talked for an hour about stuff until the cop came. When she came I told her exactly what happened (it was clear that it was my fault) but she didn't issue any tickets, just accident reports, and was on her way. ALSO my car has a huge dent in it and the bumper came off a little bit, but it's completely driveable and probably in the best condition it could be in for a hit like that. He kept telling me that we were lucky, it could have been a lot worse, and I was like "yeah of course it could have" but THEN he told me that he was transporting dangerous chemicals. Whoops. Yeah it could have been a lot worse.

So I get home at about 3:30 (the cop took forever to get there b/c there were no injuries) and still have a ton of shit to get packed, let alone cleaning my whole place. I went as fast as I could and we still weren't out of there til around 6. We dumped the stuff off at the new place, Keith went home, and Andrew and I went to his place to get his big stuff in the U-Haul before he had to take the truck back. By the time we were done it was 10:30, the U-Haul was late, and we still had more stuff to do that didn't require the truck. We didn't get done bringing stuff in til 3 am. Blech.

MOVING DAY #2 SATURDAY, JUNE 11TH

Andrew went to work, I went to the old place and cleaned like hell for 3 hours. I went shopping for all the normal stuff you need to run a place of residence (shower curtains, dish stuff) and didn't get back til 5 pm. By the time Andrew got home at 9:30 we had both barely put a dent in anything and had to go back to his house to get most of his other crap. (There are STILL a few boxes there) We didn't get back til about 2 am this time.

THE APARTMENT

It's nice. Very big and clean with a giant window leading out to a patio. There are 4 closets (including the bedroom) and it has central air.

The pool is right outside our front door. I swam in it once so far. I'm planning that to be most of my excersize for the summer, but the little kids seem to be in the pool at all hours of the day.

We have one neighbor on our floor, and he's a little nutty. He's an older man, very skinny and kinda wild eyed. He introduced himself to me like 3 times and just the way he talks makes Andrew and I both think there is something not right upstairs. He is nice to us though which is good.

Things living together are going great so far. No arguments about random shit, and we seem to have room for both of our stuff. Of course it's been less than a week so I'm sure it won't be all rainbows and butterflies forever. But right now...I'm very happy.

MOVIE #1: HIGH TENSION



I won 4 tickets to see this film on rochesterathome.com so I grabbed Andrew, Joe, and Johnny and we all went to see it before it opened for real. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it or not, it had an awesome remake of "Superstar" sung by Sonic Youth for the trailer, but other than that I couldn't tell if it'd be good or bad.

Well....it turns out it's a French film, which I should have guessed. A little tip when watching trailers: if nobody in the film talks during the entire trailer and there's just some song playing, it's a foreign film. The foreign thing in itself I don't mind at all, I love foreign films. However, it's dubbing that I hate. I would take subtitles any day over dubbing. Thankfully they made the main character bi-lingual so she had dubbed english lines in the beginning but spoke mostly french throughout the film.

The film is....odd. There is a rather large twist at the end, but if you get annoyed with crappy twists, stay away. This one leaves a gaping plot hole behind and I really don't think there's any deep analyzations that will fix it. The film is good up until the end, nice and bloody with a hint of unorthadox sexuality. The main girl was pretty hot though, I must admit. Anyway, I say...rent it. Don't go to the theatres.

MOVIE #2: BATMAN BEGINS

On the way to meet Joe/Johnny and I at the theatre Andrew won movie passes of his own from The Zone. I had just mentioned to him that I would rather have won passes to see Batman Begins and then he goes and wins them. So besides that in itself being awesome, we got to see the film on the IMAX screen which is like 5 stories tall and has about 7 huge speakers.

The film, like I thought it would be (not to brag or anything) was a success. Christopher Nolan takes the comic series back to its dark roots and plays psychiatrist with the audience (he's good at psychological thrillers--see Memento). Besides there being 5 English/Irishmen for main characters trying to pull off American accents, the actors did a brilliant job.

Cillian Murphy (the main guy from 28 Days Later) was my personal favorite, he was smart and powerful at the same time (mmm brains and power--such a turn on). Here's a pic, it's not the best of him but it's from the film:



Christian Bale, although I tend to hate his American accents, did a good job. Gary Oldman was barely recognizable, which I think is a tribute to his fine acting ability. Katie Holmes on the other hand...I'm not sure if it's the whole Tom Cruise thing, but I thought she was sub-par. Ken Watanabe (my current favorite Japanese actor) makes a cameo as well, and although he doesn't do much, is still a powerful presence.

The film revolved around the concept of fear and how it can cripple people and even destroy entire cities. A good topic for the film, it encompasses most of the characters (the Scarecrow is the villain everyone will recognize and Wayne confronts his fears constantly). The film also handled what could have been a sappy non-believeable love story with grace and came up with a pretty good compromise for it. The jokes were funny, there were no crappy puns like the horrible Joel Shumaker Batmans of the past, and the kid stuff was minimal.

In all, I highly recommend seeing this film. It would be best in the theatre, and if you can make it to an IMAX, even better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections