Ah Christmas. I don't remember when the last time I wrote was, and I can't look back at the moment because it took me a half hour to get here. I finished the book I was reading while I was waiting for this slow, slow contraption. So, in case there is overlap or I forget something, I'm sorry.

I'll start with Christmas Eve. We went, as always, to my grandparent's house. My cousin Adam wasn't there because he had the flu, and we don't want my grandfather contracting any strange viruses in his state. Other than that, the dinner went without a hitch. I had some shrimp, pasta with red sauce, pasta with linguini sauce, some more shrimp, and there was a huge plate of cookies for dessert. I got some soft pajamas from Lauren which was cool, and I gave her the book that I just finished, which Angie gave to me and I know she'll love. My grandpa also gave away a TON of money to my mom and my uncle (I accidentally peeked at their checks) but my mom wouldnt' give me any of it. (I'm so selfish)

Christmas Day I opened my presents that I had picked out at the mall over Thanksgiving vacation, not much of a surprise there. But my brothers and my mom had gotten me some dvds that I didn't pick out: the best romantic comedy ever (in my eyes), While You Were Sleeping, the best Crime Thriller ever, The Usual Suspects, and of course, everyone needs a copy of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I watched While You Were Sleeping today and argued with Pat about how good of a movie it was. I told him I like it so much because it's about this guy that falls so hard for this girl but he can't tell her because she's supposed to marry his brother, so he gives her all these looks and little hints, and I think that's the most adorable thing ever. I tried to explain this, but I guess guys don't really get it.

I went to Pat's after spending some quality time with my family on Christmas. I brought over some cut out cookies I made for him, his mom, and his brother. We exchanged gifts, and Pat got me a really pretty sweater (it's kinda scary that he has good taste in women's clothing), some bath and body works stuff that smells REALLY good, and one of the cutest cards I've ever received. I got him this Eddie Murphy standup comedy thing that he's been wanting FOREVER but it's very tempermental and didn't want to play for us. So I'm supposedly getting a new one in the mail, I hope I actually get it, otherwise I'll have to kick someone's ass. I also got him a Stevie Wonder tape (to play in his car) that I know he loves. We had some dinner, watched a little tv, and went to Daut's apartment. Seamus' girlfriend Cassie was there and I talked to her for a long time, then played a little beer pong, and just kinda hung out with the guys (and Cassie) that were there. We were supposed to go to the bar, but me and Pat BOTH drank too much to drive there (that was my fault) so we just went back and fell asleep.

The next day I hung out with Joe for most of the day. We had some piano fun at my house, then went to his house and exchanged presents. He actually GOT me a present this year which I was totally shocked about, he hasn't bought me a present in a long time. He got me an "Ithaca is Gorges" shirt which I've been wanting for a long time, and photo albums that I told him I loved a MILLION times. So the two non-family member guys in my life did a very good job of picking out presents for me, I was impressed. We went to Copperfields that night, but I had driven and Joe was wasted when we got there, so I figured I shouldn't drink anything. We talked to Chris O'Donnell, who had come in with Matt Porter (!) and Matt Tandle. I got to see random people (like Matt Porter) that I haven't seen in a long time.

Yesterday I watched some movies with my mom (it seems to be all I'm doing lately) then went to Joe's and to the bars again. This time we hung out with Jackie Cecere most of the time, and Abby Reale. I sometimes miss when I was good friends with them, it was some good times. They came to my house once in about 8th grade, and we had tried to sneak into my dad's shed to look around for illegal things. He came home unexpectedly and we had to sneak out the doggie door. Ah, memories. I'm glad people were around that I knew though, because I didn't get drunk either night, and I would have been REALLY bored if nobody interesting was out.

So now on to subjects that have no timeline. I feel like I write too much about events that go on in my life and not about me as a person. Maybe I think that I'm not a deep person and don't have anything special to share? Or maybe I protect my feelings most of the time, only letting them out when I know it's safe. I think either of those options are valid. I've been trying to dig deeper lately, mainly because of the book I've been reading, "Learning to Float." The girl tries to find the true meaning of love, and she has to figure out things about herself as she goes along. Besides the book, I think Patrick sometimes gets fed up with the fact that his girlfriend doesn't tell him how she feels most of the time. I think it was the way I was raised...maybe it's genetics, who knows. I mean I've seen my parents kiss probably 3 times in my life for Christ's sake. I squirm when I have to say I love you to my parents, feelings just aren't something I go for. But I think I'll try to be more open, I think I'll have to be.

Other than telling people how I feel, I think I am actually pretty adept at maintaining personal relationships. The author of the book says,

"The world is divided into two distinct camps: the people who have their personal lives in order but their professional lives are a mess, and those whose professional lives are in order but their personal lives are a mess. Virtually nobody gets a handle on both. Imagine two puppies, one leash."

That kind of makes me think. Pat told me once that my family is different from most because they aren't defined by their careers. Both of my parents have completely changed what they do for a living more than once. However, my family is extremely easy to get along with. I don't want to be unsure about my career, because I dread change, but I think I'll have to drift a little to find out exactly what I want to do in life. Personal relationships are a breeze, I make friends and keep friends relatively easily, and have had more than one successful romantic relationship (well I don't know if Nate would call our relationship successful so that might have to be stricken, but 4 months was a long time for me back then). While everyone else in my internship seminar was talking about work, all I could say about my internship was that I went to a dinner at a colleague's house and we played Trivial Pursuit. The point is, should a person be defined by what they do for a living? Or who they are personally? Is money so high on a person's priority list? I'm babbling because it's 2:30 in the morning, but these are things I've been thinking about lately. I'm probably just trying to justify my haphazard decision to forgo graduate school for a year or two. I've been feeling stressed about the whole issue, so let me just pretend like my career won't matter in the future, and everything will be okay.

That's enough for right now, more jabbering on at a later date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections