Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

In case I haven't mentioned it before, one of my hobbies is going through my amazingly accurate book of "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" and then finding the old classics on TCM or AMC. TCM even shows the films in their entirety, which is evidenced by the whole lotta nudity I saw recently while watching The Last Picture Show. I've only disliked a few of the films in the book, but I still respect why they're in there. I hope to see most of the films, but so far I've only seen about 230 of them. I figure I have at least another 45 years to go, so I should be able to do it.

Tonight's viewing was of a Russ Meyer film entitled Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! I can basically sum up the film by saying it's like Charlie's Angels as would be directed by Quentin Tarantino, right down to the surfing style music. The overall theme of the film is that sex and violence are intertwined. This is not a subtle theme. As the narrator says: "While violence cloaks itself in a plethora of disguises, its favorite mantle still remains... sex."

The film itself is a bit corny, but it's a 1965 B movie directed by a man who was known for hiring busty actresses. The women themselves are beautiful, and the desert landscape is somehow beautiful as well. It's never going to be one of those deep, thought provoking films, but it held my attention. Of course everyone has a penchant for sex and violence in some capacity, and I think that's just what the movie was trying to say. Every single character in the film, from the scared kidnapped high schooler who is wearing a bikini in every scene to the old gas station attendant who ogles breasts while he washes cars, exhibits some form of penchant for sex or violence. By the end of the film, every main character exhibits both.

I am a big fan of sexual innuendo, and since this movie is about exotic dancers, horny men, and cars, you have room for a whole lot of innuendo. (I'm guessing about 75% of the lines in the film are innuendo) All of those themes are put together at once in probably my favorite scene in the film. One of the women is trying to run down one of the guys on a ranch. He has huge muscles though, and she tries in vain to pin him to a wall with her car, (with the car at his crotch level) but he keeps pushing it off. It basically ends up looking like this car is having sex with a guy.

At the end of the day, it was entertaining. No matter how hard we try to hide it (you damn Christians and Catholic Priests) we all have a dark side. And I like films that realize that.

Here's the trailer, but it ends up pretty much laying out the entire film. So if you never plan on seeing it or you don't mind spoilers but you are curious, here you go:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections