Twenty Four

Is how old I officially became at 6:57 PM tonight. I was a 7 lb 11 oz baby girl born 5 days after I was supposed to be born. My mom was in labor for 32 hours. I had jaundice and tons of black black hair, I looked like an eskimo. I was also moving my mouth like I was speaking, the minute I was born. Go figure.

So in honor of the day of my birth and because Mike and I were reminiscing about our Nickelodian-filled childhoods last night, I'm gonna go back, way back. I am going back to when I lived in my old house that I moved out of when I was around 7, so I was pretty young for all of this.

Things I listened to or watched or played so many times when I was little that they will be forever ingrained into my head:

SONGS
-"I wanna be like you" from The Jungle Book, the song I listened to nonstop when I was about 4
-"The Rainbow Connection", which I can't listen to without crying for some reason
-"Battle of New Orleans" which I will give you a dollar if you can go lyric to lyric with me, or if you've even heard of the damn song before
-Pepino the Italian Mouse and Dominic the Donkey....oh yeah
-"You are my Sunshine" and "Carolina in the Mornin" from my mom singing me to bed with them
-The Monster Mash and Purple People Eater....cause we had the records

MOVIES
-"The Wizard of Oz", including taped from tv commercials for pepsi, kit kat bars, and cheese which I can probably recreate in their entirety
-"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movie (probably the first movie that got me liking the badass with a heart of gold kind of character with Casey Jones)
-"Beetlejuice", which I watched at least twice a day when I was about 7 (I was a dark child)
-"The Muppet Musicians of Bremen" which I don't remember much of but I think there were muppets and farm animals involved
-some strange holloween short movie thing with Judd Hirsch as Dracula and everyone just starts disco dancing at the end (god I'm old, DISCO??)

**An Aside: I just looked up the abovementioned movie on IMDB and found the name of it "The Halloween That Almost Wasn't" along with one of the other of four tv show/movie things that my parents had taped that all aired together on the Disney Channel. The other one mentioned on IMDB was "Witch's Night Out" with kids all colored one specific color and they changed into real witches on halloween. The other two were the Sleepy Hollow cartoon and this one with Donald Duck where there's a giant gorilla that had escaped from the zoo and terrorizes him. **

Ahhhhhh if anyone else knows what I'm talking about please comment because talking about these is really bringing me back

TELEVISION
-Hey Dude
-He Man/She Ra
-You Can't Do That on Television
-Double Dare
-Fraggle Rock

NINTENDO GAMES
-Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3
-The Legend of Zelda
-The Donkey Kong game with the red ladders and barrels and oil fires, and apparently on the same game we had one with vines and alligator things
-SNK Baseball
-California Games (Rollerskating and Half Pipe were the best)
-Mike Tyson's Punch Out
-Double Dragon
-Bayou Billy
-Tetris (of course)
-Dinowarz (I think this was the name....not sure)
-Castlevania: Simon's Quest

Okay I really need to stop this entry because all this stuff is making my memories go wild. I can still see my dad sitting in the rocking chair in our old house in front of the tv figuring out how to beat King Hippo and subsequently showing Keith and I how to do it.

It's amazing how some memories can stay so fresh for so long, it's like when we're kids we experience things on such a high level that it can never leave our minds. So many things I experience now I'll forget a week later but the things I mentioned on this page I'll remember forever.

Comments

Sophia said…
My mom wouldn't let us play video games because the Atari burned the image on the TV screen, therefore, all video games must be bad for the TV

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections