A Rant And A Rave

First the rave...it is for the power of caffeine! I know I've written about caffeine in here before, especially on overnights such as tonight, but I'm writing about it again, dammit.

Anyway I worked last night, this morning, and tonight, so working 24 out of 40 consecutive hours made me feel like I needed a cappuccino to be able to stay up all night.

Wellll.....I started to feel sleepy whilst drinking it, but after about a half hour I perked up and was able to finish scoring not 1 but 2 records in 3 hours, do a couple loads of laundry, label cds, and record impedence differences.

Not that any of that matters to lay people, but I will explain the scoring at least somewhat, because to truly understand what a feat it is to score 2 records in 3 hours, you have to understand scoring.

At my lab we record brain waves while a person is sleeping. These look like little squiggles on a computer screen, but are actually different hertz waves. Most common in sleep are alpha and theta, and delta if you're under 65. Here's an example of some stuff:



Aaaanywhoooo, we look at 30 seconds of data at a time. We have 4 to 10 EEGs to look at, throw in some EMGs, EOGs, and ECGs, and that's a lot of squiggles. When I say score, I mean going through 8 hours of a person's sleep, 30 seconds at a time, scoring different stages, arousals (awakenings/movements), apneas, PLMs, hypopneas, etc. Then there is printing out a sleep report that tells in plain terms what I just did.

So 2 records in 3 hours is awesome timing. Especially since I'm about 10 records behind and I'm the only one that can score besides my supervisor. SO THANK YOU FRENCH VANILLA CAPPUCCINO!


Next Topic.

On my precious few hours off today, I watched part of a Real World marathon. This girl named Lacy was complaining for the entire episode about how everybody in her house stereotypically likes certain bands and all popular bands suck and her roommates should only like underground music and blah blah. They were all getting fed up with her and called HER a stereotype of the type of person that puts down what other people like just to seem cooler.

I think however, everyone does that in some way or another. I know I do it about films/actors. I'll bitch about how some actor like Kevin Spacey, Hugh Jackman or Colin Farrell made it big when I was watching their films when nobody knew who they were. But would they really be big if I was the ONLY person that knew their potential? Once that person or film becomes popular, I stop liking them as much. I continue to rant to people though, because the film industry is what I KNOW. I am comfortable with it and I feel like it's part of my identity. Everyone wants to feel special, and knowing specific areas better than others is a way for people to feel that way.

I'm sure Andrew would get upset if I did something great on a video game, or found out something he doesn't know about programming (like that would happen, but still...). He has unconventional piercings and I'm sure he believes that these things set him apart from others.

My point is that, aside from Michael Jackson, there are other people in the world thinking the same things, dressing the same way, and spouting the same shit that you are.

I was talking to the boy with 2 names the other day, and every time I talk to him he starts in about how I'm wasting my life, I'm boring and stereotypical and blah blah. Then when I say he doesn't know how I live my life, he knows nothing about me, he says of course he does because I am a stereotype. Well this may be true, but then how much of a stereotype is he? The stereotype of the person who thinks they know everything about others and gets angry when you say otherwise. People, the way people act, and the way people think are his area, and he needs to know that he is better than anyone else at putting them into their rightful places.

Now I wasn't angry about this conversation, I'm secure with myself and take everything he says with a grain of salt anyway, but it just got me thinking...EVERYONE is stereotypical, EVERYONE wants to believe they are different, and people need to stop bitching about stuff they can't control.

Just let people be the stereotypes that they are, try to build your own confidence, and the world will be happy (ha).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections