California, Part 3: Southern CA

So it's taken me forever to finish talking about this trip...sorry, this is the last post about it, I swear. (Well at least for another year)

So after spending time at Andrew's mom's house we rented ourselves a 2005 Pontiac Vibe and made our way through the Sierra Madres (I think...) down to Orange County. The drive from Fresno was about 4.5 hours, from San Jose it would have been about 6. Andrew drove the whole way down, because I was afraid to drive through L.A. It was a pretty drive for the most part though, I snapped a picture out the window while we were on the road:


So we got to Aliso Viejo where Kristen (Andrew's sister) and Rick live at around 9 on friday, got a tour of their immaculate apartment, and just kinda talked and went to bed. We made plans to get up early the next morning and go to....


Disneyland! Anaheim was about 15 minutes away from their place and I'd never been to a Disney-anything, so we made a day of it. We went on some pretty cool rides, like Splash Mountain and Space Mountain, but we couldn't do too many rides because it was a saturday in the summer and there were about 397452 people there, so we all got kind of fed up with the crowds and left. We DID spend 8 hours at the park though. The four of us got along really well spending that much time together and I think both Kristen and Rick are awesome.

We went back to their place, I bought pizza and beer and we watched Swingers, then went to bed. The next day was Laguna Beach day, since it's about 10 minutes from where they live.

We got up early, headed down to Laguna, met Andrew's Aunt Lorraine for breakfast at a cute outside diner place near the beach, and then took a walk around town. Everyone there knew I was obsessed with seeing a famous person, so we headed for the beach to see if any were out enjoying the day.

Here's a cute picture of Andrew and I on a gazebo overlooking the beach...it's really dark but if you click on the picture to enlarge it you can see it better


So after just looking at the beach we decided to walk down to the beach and look around. Kristen showed us this giant sprawling hotel where the rich people like to stay, and we walked in to have a look around:


This picture shows most of the hotel, but not all of it. That's how big it was. So in the middle where you can see the pool I ran into the only semi-famous person I saw on the trip. As soon as we walked in the doors to the hotel I literally ran into Ryan Stiles. (Drew Carey Show, Who's Line is it Anyway) He said a quick hello then walked out to meet his wife and kids at the pool. I recognized him right away, even though he was wearing a hat and glasses, he was like 6 foot 7 and hard to miss.

I was so happy that I got to see any person at all, and Andrew's family was happy for me so I would quit talking about it. After that encounter we walked along "Treasure Island" beach and looked for sea shells.


Rick showed me the little water pockets on the shore that have a lot of sea life, and Andrew, Lorraine, and Kristin looked for sea shells for me to take home. (Well at least Kristen was doing that) I got about 3 of them, little souveniers from Laguna Beach.

We walked around the little expensive stores for a little while, then just headed back to the apartment. Andrew wanted to go back to Fresno before he fell asleep, so at around 2 pm we were off on the road again.

Well after passing over the mountains I took the reins from Andrew, I felt bad that he was driving the whole time. It was kinda scary that the first thing I saw along the side of the road was this:


but I still made it back to Fresno without killing either of us. (No person died in that accident, but one of the horses didn't make it)

We got back to Fresno, hung out with Grandma and Grandpa Martinez for a few hours, then went to bed. The next day Andrew's mom drove us back to San Jose so we could catch our flight, and since our flight was early the next morning, we stayed in a hotel. I got a chance to get a tour of Andrew's old house and high school, and places where he used to work and hang out. Then we went to dinner at the only Mexican Restaurant I visited while in CA, Chevy's.

At dinner, Andrew made me drink my giant Margarita too fast and I got a little tipsey. I couldn't finish it, so he drank some, plus HIS giant Margarita. Then Loren (Andrew's mom's boyfriend) decided that it was my birthday and all these people came and sang to me and gave me an ice cream dessert and a sombrero.

By the time we got back to the hotel, Andrew and I were pretty drunk, we broke into the pool area (which was closed) and got a little frisky in the jacuzzi. We went upstairs, passed out, and the next day was just flying flying flying (you don't even want to hear about the drama with our flights). All in all, it was a great vacation, and I'll leave you with the last picture that was taken...me, drunk, in a sombrero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections