And now my 3 day weekend is over. I wish it wasn't, I was a little hesitant at first to spend so much time with Pat's extended family, since I didn't know a thing about them, but once I met them I wanted to stay there for much longer. Let's start at the beginning....

Friday I woke up and had lunch at Port's with Joe. I hadn't been there since last summer and I didn't even say hi to my old bosses which was rude of me. I just didn't feel like having a whole big conversation with them at that moment. I needed to do some packing too. So after lunch Joe took me on my errands (half the time he's my chauffer which I very much appreciate) and then back to my house to finish getting ready for the trip. My dad drove me to Pat's house, where he was described to me by Pat's mother as "handsome, and looks younger than he is." I was like "sure..?" That was the first time they met each other, which is kind of a long time since their children have been going out for almost a year now. ANYway....we left at about 3:30 and drove for about 6 hours, getting to Boston at 9:30. Well technically the family (Pat's mom's sister and her husband and kids) lives in Lexington, which is a suburb of Boston.

Nobody was home when we got there, and I had been told before hand that these people were "well off" but I had no idea that they were THAT well off. The house was amazing. The basement consisted of a living room type area, a kitchen, bathroom, and 2 bedrooms, where me, Pat, and Pat's mom would stay. The first floor had another kichen and dining area, a sitting room, a livingroom, and a bathroom. The upstairs had 4 more bedrooms and 2 more bathrooms. That in itself isn't too impressive but the house was VERY nicely set up, just take my word for it.

So friday night right when we got there, Jessica, one of the girls (there's 3 kids: Katie, Jessica, and Michael, who was the bar mitzvah-ee) was just arriving home from a year in Spain. A limo type car drove her up to her house from Kennedy Airport. So we talked to her about her trip for awhile and I played piano a little bit since you never want a baby grand to go unused, plus nobody was home so I could play piano freely. Then the rest of the family got home (oh yeah they were at the temple til like 10) and we talked for awhile. I noticed right away how bubbly and cute the mother, Diane, was. She was awesome. Mark, the father, seems a little intimidating just because he's this huge attorney guy that represents Pepsi and Sears and things like that, but he's nice too. Katie and Michael are both also really cool, more outgoing than Jessica. (Even though I felt more at ease with Jessica than Katie) So after chatting a little, we all went to bed.

Saturday morning at 11 was the bar mitzvah. We found the temple and met some more family members, and took our seats. The service was for 2 boys, not just Michael, so it was a little long (about 2 hours or so) but it was mostly in Hebrew so it was fun. Me and Pat were having a fun time singing out songs in Hebrew that we had no idea what we were saying.

After the service the 160 invitees were supposed to go to a swanky hotel right in Boston. We didn't want to risk getting lost so we followed the immediate family. We got to the place and they had all these tables with weird dip concoctions set up. I tried some hummus and olives, but that's about it. Pat tried a little duck but didn't like it much, and we both got beers. We got a tip that there were mini pizzas in the kid's room so we crashed it and took some, along with little weiners. I was informed that there was still a sit-down meal after this in the ballroom or whatever. So we went in there, found our table, and looked at our menus. It was a frikken 5 course meal. We had a bunch of things I can't even name, and my main course was fillet mignon with wild mushrooms and leeks or something like that. It was excellent. For dessert was a scoop of chocolate ice cream hand dipped in a white chocolate coating.

Between meals and after meals we did some cutting up on the dance floor. Of course I had at least a couple beers in me before this happened, since everyone knows my level of dancing skill. But this was old people dancing stuff, not the grinding I usually am supposed to do at bars and whatnot, so this is easier to handle. We also did the Hava Nagila song and danced around in a circle, which was SO COOL. I wanted to keep dancing to that song forever. They put Michael and his family up on chairs and danced around with them, the usual Jewish stuff. I was having such a good time though. Pat's great aunts kept talking to me and Pat and his mom danced at one point, which I thought was so cute that I had to get a picture of it. Pat and his mom also had to light one of Mike's candle's (he gets 14 of them, why I have no idea) and I tried to get a picture of that.

We were kicked out of the party at 6, and went back to the house for ANOTHER party and more food. A catering service brought some stuff over, and we ate and chatted some more. Me and Pat wandered to and from the basement where the little kids were playing gamecube to the first floor, where the adults were. It was like we were between the two and didn't know what to do. Everyone left relatively early and we watched movies and then went to sleep (in the same room with separate beds).

This morning we woke up and went upstairs for another catered meal at 11. Some more family came over, and there were bagels (and locks of course), some huge fish thing, a noodly thing that was really good, a fruit dish, and a dessert dish which I was staring at the whole time. It had cream puff things, cheesecake, carrot cake, eclairs, etc. I was about to gorge myself but I only had a cream puff and a cheesecake.

We left right after breakfast, b/c it was pouring and we had to get going anyway. I got back here at around 6:30 and my mom and brothers got to meet Pat's mom. Then they left and now it's back to the geneva routine. I really had a great time this weekend and am a little depressed to be back home, as bad as that sounds. But it was just one of those great experiences, and I'm glad I got to take part in it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections