Alone in New York

So Mike has been working as a waiter at the US Open in Queens for the past 5 days straight. He is working/commuting 14 hours a day, for 14 days straight. My poor fiance :(

He does it because it's very good money. He wants to get some cash so he can focus more on acting and not making money. (since usually those two things don't go hand in hand)

So while he's serving tennis players (yes I get the pun also) I have my time to myself. LOTS of time. I finished my latest book (if you are into fantasy books and you are not planning on reading George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, you should be shot) and I'm about to finish my video game. I've even started watching Ben-Hur only because it's a classic. Believe me, that is the ONLY reason I'm watching it, because it's really not great.

So the cat has been bored along with me. Not so bored that she hasn't driven me crazy by becoming obsessed with the kitchen sink:

or stopped doing strange funny things:

but she has been bored. So I thought, why not take her on an outing for Labor Day weekend? There is a big park 4 blocks away from me so I bought her a harness and a leash, I packed up some cheese and her favorite ball of string, I threw her in my purse and off we went for our picnic.

Well that didn't turn out so well. The minute I took her out of the purse she was so weirded out by all the sights and sounds that she froze under my backpack and wouldn't go anywhere else. She just kept alternating between afraid face and sad face. I even tried to put cheese under her nose and she wouldn't eat it. (and she's like me, she LOVES cheese) So I read a chapter in my new book and packed her back up again. There is, of course, photographic evidence of her scaredy-cat-ness:

The minute we got home she popped out of the bag and started purring like crazy. I think the whole experience was too overwhelming for her. It reminded me of a famous quote I saw in the subway the other day. I wish I could find the exact quote but I forgot who said it. If I see it in the subway again I'll edit this post. But for now, the quote was about how if we were to actively see, hear, and feel everything that was going on around us every day, we would be lost. Well the famous version is better...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections