Lilies of the Imagination

Not really but this post is about my imagination and lilies so why not smush them together in the title.

I have always had an active imagination. I won't say overactive because you can never really be sure how your imagination will measure up to somebody else's. However I know mine was active because when I was little I did a whole host of random activities that I look back on and think....umm wtf?

I used to force my 3-years-younger than me brother to play all these games that I would make up for us. I wrote them on a list and we had to play them. One was the hat game, where we piled hats onto our heads and had a contest to see who could put the most hats on without them falling off, one was "Hide He-Men" where we took turns hiding he-men action figures all over the play room and the living room and then looked for them. One was some non-named game where we pretended we were ninja turtles and went out into the fields around my house and fought imaginary villians with imaginary weapons and reported back to "Splinter" who was actually our really old brown dog named Goldie. I know all of these things are really lame but I was like 7 so shut up.

I used to tell my brother there was a little girl living in our barn and wild animals would come in and scratch at her at night. I used to tell him I could faint at any moment then fall on the ground and pretend I was unconscious. I used to tell him that barbie dolls came to life at night. (sorry Keith)

I used to write stories, complete with illustrations. One was about Spiderman fighting some villian made out of rocks, one was about a crime-fighting family that went to a hotel and solved the crime of the missing jewels. (a bird had taken them to use for its nest). I don't remember the rest of them.

I used to think my mom turned into a witch when I hid under my kitchen table, I used to think Freddy Krueger lived in the shed behind my grandparents' tennis court.

Sometimes I look back and get sad because when you're a kid you think all these wonderous and magical things and when you grow up you can't see the magic anymore. I know that sounds corny but it's like people grow up and lose sight of the fun stuff. I just hope that all this responsibility and professionalism and whatever else doesn't stunt our creativity. I feel like I don't have much imagination left and I don't know how to get it back.

Well...what hasn't gone away is my imagination for creepy things. When I come to work at 1 am, the cafeteria opens at 1:30 so I go up and get something with caffeine. I am in the basement. The cafeteria is two floors up and half a block away. To get there I must go near a psyc ward and past The Morgue. The Morgue as in the one for the whole hospital. If that isn't creepy enough sometimes the damned energy saver lights don't turn on as I walk down the hall so I'm walking in darkness past a psyc ward and a morgue. This causes me to look around in every direction, feel as if ghostly apparitions are going to appear at any moment, and usually I end up doing something stupid like tripping. Sometimes the ceiling tiles even blow air down onto my head. It's really unnerving and if ghosts exist, I bet they'd be in that hallway. (Actually there's a rumor that there's a ghost in the lab, which I REALLY don't want to think about right now since I'm by myself).

Next topic. I was on flowers.com earlier tonight ordering something for my mom for mother's day and I realized that I like lilies. They are very pretty. Every flower arrangement I saw on there looked better if there were lilies in it. I never knew that I liked them. I guess you learn something new every day. Of course I ordered her a lily flower arrangement, hopefully she likes them as much as I do. And hopefully they'll get to her, because I had to order them to her work. Apparently these places don't deliver to the middle of nowhere, which is where my parent's house happens to be.

Speaking of mothers....I think mine may be losing her mind. She's always been kooky but now she's getting all religious, always talking about God and asking for blessings for "her wayward children" and whatnot. She's the most easygoing person in the world so I can usually just wave away her religious zeal and go play the piano so she won't talk anymore but it's starting to annoy me that she is getting so closed minded in her old age. What happened to the party girl she once was? She's gone....so sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections