The Odd Coincidence of Numbers

Well this is embarrassing. I'm not sure I've ever gone THIS long without writing, and I was doing so well in recent years. My son has gone from wiggling, to crawling, to walking, to running, to climbing, to destroying, so it's been a bit hard to keep up. I'm going to try to do a couple different posts relatively soon, while I have a small window (for whatever reason).

I will write about my life, but I want to make a fun post about numbers, to get away from all the baby posts as of late. My grandma Minnie is turning 95 tomorrow, and we had a surprise birthday party for her last weekend. This woman is like a celebrity to me. She birthed 6 children, 24 grandchildren, 44 great grandchildren, and 27 great-great grandchildren. She still tries new things all the time. She's been crocheting, playing piano, and playing card games for years, but in recent memory she has taken drawing classes, driven a 4 wheeler, gone kayaking, and I'm sure done other things that I didn't hear about. Her mind and body are both intact, and she is just great to be around. This post isn't specifically about her, but I wanted to tell the world how awesome she is, even though I spout off about her periodically on facebook.

This post will be a bit...odd. My mom brought a series of dates to my attention years ago, and I wanted to write them out to see if they are as weirdly coincidental as they seem. My mom has always had a mind to remember birthdays. She knows LOTS of them. I am almost as good at remembering, if I want to remember, but lately I've been slacking in the memory department. She noticed something about her family and my dad's family. Most of the relatives on both sides of the same generation have corresponding dates for birthdays. Always a different month, but always the same day. There's 30/31 days to choose from, so I'd say that is a bit strange. I'll write it out for everyone:

My wonderful grandma Minnie, who I was just discussing; her birthday is 8/24.
My wonderful (deceased) Grandma Dorothy's birthday is 10/24.

My grandpa Hugh Sr: 12/17.
My grandpa Dom: 6/17.

And it goes even further. All of my great grandparents have corresponding birthdays as well.
Minnie's mother Beaulah: 1/15.
Dorothy's father Paul: 11/15.

Hugh Sr.'s mother Germaine: 4/6.
Dom's father (not sure of his name): 10/6.

And of course, my parents:
Marilyn: 1/9.
Hugh: 3/9.

I don't know all of the extended family's birthdays, but there's at least one that corresponds:
My grandma Dorothy's sister Eunice: 1/3.
My grandpa Hugh's sister Germaine: 4/3.

WEIRD, methinks.

I always said I had to marry someone with the same birthday as me, because I'm a combo of my mom and dad's family. And Mike is close, with a birthday the day after mine. And it just so happens that Keith's wife's birthday is the day after his. I guess if my brother Paul marries a girl with a birthday the day after his, it'll be a new birthday number tradition. :-)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections