Ya Ta!

Not sure about the spelling, but as a translation to all the non-Heroes fans: "I Did It!"

The surgery was a success. A few of the firsts that I mentioned in my earlier blog didn't actually ever happen. I didn't get a tube down my throat, just some Propofol and other stuff pumped into my IV. I think the anesthesiologist may have slightly misunderstood me when I told him I had a very low tolerance for anything drug related. He laughed and told me I'd be titrated. Obviously it all turned out well in the end, but I was asleep literally 3 seconds after being wheeled into the O.R. The last thing I remembered were big lights and lots of people in blue scrubs. I believe my doctor was talking to me but I have no idea what he was saying.

The next thing I know, I'm shaking and crying. This was about an hour and a half later. I think when I'm in any kind of extreme emotional state I just cry. Even when I'm startled, I'll well up and start crying and not even know why. I'm not sure why I was shaking, maybe that's normal for people after surgeries? They gave me a big warm blanket and that helped a lot. I stopped crying and shaking after about 10 minutes and they told me I could leave anytime, so I did. After a trip to the bathroom, for the 3rd time. Whatever protein stuff they put in those IVs really makes me need to go.

Anyway, now I'm at home on the couch with a club foot. That's what it feels like at least. The cast goes a little below my knee, so I can still bend my leg, but I am supposed to put absolutely no pressure on the foot. After 3 days, I have perfected the art of hopping and standing on one foot. I even took a shower standing on one leg. I've only tripped once on my crutches, but I haven't used them anywhere but the house yet. The only thing I didn't realize about needing crutches is that I can't carry anything anymore. This is a way bigger deal than you'd think. I need to roll a wheely chair into the kitchen to get food, because otherwise I could never do it. You try carrying peanut butter and jelly containers around while holding crutch handles at the same time. Yeah.

So that is the worst part. The pain is minimal, because I'm on Percocet. Percocet is an amazing pain reliever, but I won't get addicted to it because there is some other P named thing in it besides Oxycodone that will make me not have that euphoria stuff that gets people addicted. It really only makes me sleepy. I spent around 18 hours of my day yesterday asleep. Today I've only taken 2 naps, and hopefully by the weekend I'll be on a semi-normal sleeping schedule.

Because all of this medicine talk is probably really boring to anyone but John, I'll insert random pictures! These are (really old) pictures I scanned while bored at my mom's house the other day. Enjoy.

Me with the cousin that introduced me to my favorite film, The Usual Suspects. I wish my hair was still this dark...



Probably the last time I actually liked this lavender/purple color scheme...and giant hats


This is not me, but my mom and grandparents. She was a bit younger than me in the photo, but we are pretty similar looking.


And this is just for fun. I was 2 years old and apparently afraid of slides.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just so you know:
The other "P" thing in Percocet is APAP which is just an abbreviation for acetaminophen (tylenol)
Susan Osborne said…
who is this anoyomous drug expert? mom...?
Erica said…
Haha Sue...and thanks anonymous drug expert that may or may not be Sue's mom!
john ok said…
hahaha i was going to say the same as anonymous.

also there is no protein in normal IVs. they just gave you normal saline or lactate ringers. both of which are basically salt water. which is why you had to go to the bathroom.

and it is very common to be shaking and cold after surgery. we put warming blankets on you during the case but people generally cool down a few degrees under anesthesia. it's a combination of getting IV fluids which may or may not be warmed, the cold OR, being under anesthesia and not moving, etc.

also did you catch the season premiers of house, and heroes?
Erica said…
Yay for comments! And sadly I love House but for some odd reason haven't watched it since the 2nd season. I am a religious follower of all things Heroes though, and can't wait to see more!! Also a new show that may be worth catching is "Reaper" on CW, about a 21 year old boy that has to bring souls to Hell for the Devil. The first episode was super funny.
Anonymous said…
Not to mention that "Reaper" is directed by Kevin Smith... 'cuz, you know, that makes it cooler!
john ok said…
well the premier was done by kevin smith. i don't think he is doing the rest of the show. but i'm going to check it out right after i eat some lunch.

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections