Erica Being Social (for once!)

First I'll do a little catching up from the Pittsburgh trip. Nicole, Andrew, and I went down there for 3 days at the end of August to learn about one of the new studies in our lab. Hotel, airfare, meals, all paid for. I believe I spent a total of 33 dollars in 3 days. So awesome. The company even took us to a castle to eat one night! (It was also the night we made a few new friends from Atlanta, courtesy of me running into one of them at 2am at the front desk of the hotel because both of us were looking for toothbrushes)

Eating at the castle:

Our new Atlanta friends (my favorite was Sam--the Korean Zoolander in the pic):


The only real free time we got was at the end of day 2, when we ended our session early and got to go see the city a little. All three of us caught a shuttle, bus, and subway to downtown, where, after a few missteps, we found Station Square. We walked around there for awhile, then went on this famous giant incline that I can never remember how to pronounce so I won't even try to type it here. From the incline (and from Station Square) I got awesome pictures of the hilly city. Here are a few:



And this one was from the top of the giant incline:

After the incline we headed back on our journey to the hotel, and at a tired moment I snapped another pic:

Even though it was a work trip, I still had a great time. I wish I got to do more stuff like this, but I probably won't for a long time.

In other news, Mike and I attended a wedding of a couple of his friends last weekend. It was one of the most interesting weddings I've ever been to. The groom was Jewish, the bride was Bolivian/Japanese. The ceremony had both a Catholic priest and a Buddhist officiator. Incense was lit, we chanted the "Heart Sutra", then at the reception they did the chair dance and the Hava Nagila. Craziness! Also--my old suitemate from college was the wedding planner. I hadn't seen her in about 3 years and I got to hang out with her quite a bit at the reception. Other than drunkenly falling in love with the bride's father, (damn my asiaphileness--yes that's a word now) it was a great time.

I didn't really get good pictures of the bride and groom, but I'll post what I did get:

Raj is always a good time:

We are attending the wedding of these two wacky folks in LA in January:

Here's the best I could get of the bride (in the middle):

And the best of the groom:


Tune in next time for why I will never live with my mom again and why I am wearing my prom dress out tomorrow night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections