The Back of My Head

New York New York it's a hell of a town! The streetcar's up and the shopping mall's down! Okay I have no idea if those are the right words to that song or not but it sounds appropriate.

I am having a good time living in this city. As I've said before, I heart the accents. I really do. To me, a Brooklyn accent doesn't sound trashy, it sounds badass. And we all know I'm a fan of the badass nature of people.

What else do I like? I love that if you have a craving for a mango, you can probably find one right down the street. Pretty much any food you'd want you can get it right down the street. And not too expensive either! This guy I work with can get a lunch bag full of cherries for 2.50 and I know because he brags about it constantly (but I think that price is only in Flatbush, where he lives).

One thing though...we can never buy too much from a grocery store at once. A couple days ago we tried to get 100 dollars worth of groceries and Mike had to walk home to grab this cart thing so we could load that up with the groceries. Sometimes I think I took cars for granted.

I'm going into my fourth week of work tomorrow. The first couple weeks were a bit rough, mostly due to the non-training of Erica. I expected at least 3 shifts of shadowing and writing things down and learning and...yeah. I got nothing. I got thrown to the wolves. The first half hour of my first day of work I had to hook up a patient by myself. Needless to say, by my fourth week I know most of what the other techs know and can more or less carry it out. I guess it's good in the long run that I learned everything quickly, but it was scary.

My fellow workers are very nice. They are much different personalities than ones I would find up in Rochester. Ninety percent of my fellow techs are from some random country, like Igor from Russia or Annie from Bangladesh. I've worked with Igor and Annie the most, and I like them the best so far, but everyone else is cool too. Stacey is 50 and has been a sleep tech for 30 years. He's a jolly guy but he's leaving in a few weeks. Paul is fluent in Italian and knows all the best places to eat in the city. There are a couple other techs I haven't met yet, but hopefully I'll like them as well.

I like these people, but they are blunt and only in the game for a paycheck. This means (number one) they think I am the nicest person in the universe because I'm actually generous and friendly and (number two) they think I'm some suck up worker because I don't try to cut corners and I don't bitch about the place constantly. I hope that if I work there for a year, I won't become like them. I would still hang out with them outside of work though, because they're interesting and I think they would be fun people. Anyone who works nights has to be a little crazy. So far I've tried molding Igor into Andrew's old position in my life, but I realized after the first week of work that it was futile with Igor. Plus I don't think anyone can be like Andrew. I may have to settle for making friends outside of work.

So in Mike news, he is meeting with casting directors and talent agencies and whatnot. He was a little frustrated last week but he's feeling better now. He even has an audition for a video game voice this tuesday! He would play a 20-something scientist in a wheelchair.

In other news, Willow is the cutest cat ever. Even though she looks a bit like a squirrel, she's adorable. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and her head is on the pillow next to mine with her body on the bed, like she's a person sleeping. One time her little paws were wrapped around my arm and she was sleeping like that.

Here are some current pictures of the cutie. She is pretty insane all the time. She climbs everything (especially Mike's computer chair) and always falls on her back and paws at anything that's in her way. She also loooves string.





Here are some videos of her climbing skillzzz:



And if you are ever confused about my title...click it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections