It's 11:11, make a wish.

No matter what time this website says this was posted, I started at exactly 11:11.

I've been very contemplative today, not in a bad mood or socially anxious (I'm wary of using the term "antisocial" the wrong way after going to school for psyc) but just very...zen. The only thing that riled me up a bit, but still made me think, was something that happened at work right at the end of the day today.

It was about 5:20, and Sara and I were just about set to leave. I get an internal call, so I figure it's a wrong number or something (I get at least 3 wrong number calls a day and always one of them thinks I can just forward their call to whoever the fuck doctor they want to talk to).

So I answer the phone, and it's this guy. He first tells me that he is a former employee, then asks for Michael. Upon learning that Michael had left for the day, he asks if there are any runs tonight. I have no idea what this guy could want, so I'm very confused until all of a sudden his voice starts to break. He tells me that his wife is in the ICU and they're hooking her up to a ventilator, and then he completely falters. He just starts sobbing on the phone to me and saying he doesn't know what to do and he needs a place to sleep for the night.

Well...I very sympathetically tell him to hold, then run and tell Sara what is going on. She calls Michael while I try to comfort this guy. He didn't tell me what happened, but he kept crying and he seemed so confused. Then all of a sudden he started asking me questions about myself, he said to get his mind off of everything. Well he didn't get too far, because the hospital was kicking him off the phone, so he told me he'd come down to the lab at 6:30.

I started mentally preparing myself to meet a hysterically sad former employee, but after 15 minutes he calls back and tells me that he's gonna stay with friends. I figured his head just wasn't in the right place to think clearly anyway, and that he would figure out that staying with friends is better than staying in an empty 4 bedroom lab by yourself while your wife is potentially dying.

It broke my heart to hear him so sad like that though. I don't even know him but he seemed young, and so scared. I can't even imagine what it's like for someone so close to me to be in serious health trouble. I'd probably be the same way as him.

So after that episode I made my way into Henrietta to do some shopping. It was raining and it made me even more contemplative. I really don't even know what I was thinking about, but I felt oddly peaceful by myself in my car in Henrietta in the rain. Sometimes it just feels good to be alone. I kinda just wanted to drive for a long time, it was relaxing to me, but I had to get home at some point and get back to the real world, so here I am. And that's it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deal with Kevin Spacey: Part 2

Celebrities May Be Smaller Than They Appear

Reflections